Thursday, August 27, 2015

Cheryl's Journey - Before I Found Out

JULY 10TH

My hair was done. All I needed to do was get dressed and go. The invitation said it was a Surprise Baby Shower with a Prom Theme. I guessed that was so they could get the men involved in an event usually known as a women-only function.

We were all told to bring a date. I had two prospects; none came through for me. So, I went stag. It was their loss. I looked good in my new dress.

I arrived at the facility fashionably late, but before the guest of honor (and that's all that matters with a surprise party). My parking space was a block away, but I noticed another lady, who knew me well enough to be my friend on Facebook. She had arrived and parked nearby, right after I did. I figured we could walk to the party together and chat, but she bustled ahead of me after our brief “hello’s”. Sometimes, it feels like rejection; other times, well maybe she had something to do that was supposed to be done half-an-hour ago.

The reception I got when I walked into the party more than made up for feeling alone outside. So many familiar faces, seemingly from forever ago, were suddenly in front of me, smiling and looking at me as though they were as happy to see me as I was to see them.

Checking my phone, I noticed a missed call while going through the buffet line. My brother and I had been playing phone tag. Earlier, I had seen this troublesome number on my caller ID, without a voicemail message. It was from the hospital. Only one person has ever called me from that number: him.

He called again from his cell phone and I answered. But the music was so loud, I hurried out onto the deck that overlooked a large pool. Little children squealed as they got in their final splashes before the lifeguard closed things down for the night. I could still hear him.

Almost immediately, I loud electronic hum was on my line. I had never heard it before, I walked around, hoping the sound quality would improve, but I couldn't get rid of that hum. My brother gave up and said he would talk to me later. At least I had heard his voice. I thought that meant he was OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment